Aidpage is a
support network.
Ask for help
Offer help
Sign up now
Talking about:
56 posts
51,807 visits

Alabama Housing Assistance/Cash Assistance Programs

friendshelpingfriends started this conversation

Access Alabama
Alabama Housing Finance Authority
PO Box 230909
Montgomery, AL 36120-0759
Phone: 800-782-7656
TTY: 334-271-6785
Makes mortgages affordable for lower income home buyers who have disabilities or disabled dependents living with them.

Click Here For Website

Alabama DHR Family Assistance Division
Alabama Department of Human Resources
Family Assistance Division
50 North Ripley Stree
Montgomery Alabama 36130
(334) 242-1773
(334) 242-1950
Temporary cash assistance, child care assistance, job training.

Alabama Department of Human Resources Food Stamp Division
50 North Ripley Street
Montgomery, Alabama 36130
(334) 242-0143
Provides monthly benefits to eligible low income households to help them buy the food they need for good health.

Alabama Habitat for Humanity
P.O. Box 11742
Montgomery AL 36111-1742
Phone: 334-244-0850
Fax: 334-270-5983
Builds homes for very low-income families.

Alabama Home Modification Forum
Agencies which assist in making homes accessible.

Benefits Check Up
Find programs for seniors that may pay for some of their costs of prescription drugs, health care, utilities, and other essential items or services.

Consumer Involvement Fund
Alabama Council for Developmental Disabilities
100 North Union Street
PO Box 301410
Montgomery, AL 36130-1410
Phone: 800-232-2158
Provides funds for individuals with developmental disabilities, their family members, or their guardians to participate in conferences, training events, public forums, focus groups, committees, task forces, hearings and other similar activities.

Emergency Food Assistance Program
Mr. Donny Cooper
Food Distribution Program
Department of Education
5306 Gordon Persons Bldg.
P.O. Box 302101
Montgomery, AL 26130-2101
Tel: 334-242-8240
Fax: 334-242-2475
School Lunch Program and Summer Food Service Program, which provides free, nutritious meals to school-aged children in low-income areas during school vacations.

Online search to help you find benefits you may be eligible for.

HUD Home Modification
U.S. Dept of Housing and Urban Development
Medical Forum Building
950 22nd Street North Suite 900
Birmingham, AL 35203
Home improvement and modification loans.

Individual and Family Supports
Phone: 888-759-5600
Provides flexible support for people with developmental disabilities and their families - things that other agencies cannot.

LIHEAP Assistance for Alabama
Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs
Community Services Division
P.O. Box 5690
Montgomery, AL 36103-5690
Fax: 1-334-242-4205 TDD:
Assists eligible low-income households in meeting the heating or cooling portion of their residential energy needs.

Rural Development - Alabama
USDA Rural Development State Office
Suite 601, Sterling Centre
4121 Carmichael Road
Montgomery, AL 36106-3683
Telephone Number: (334) 279-3400
Fax Number: (334) 279-3403
TDD/TTY Number: (334) 279-3495
Loans and grants to help rural residents buy homes, and rental assistance.

Social Security Disability
2001 12th Ave. North
Birmingham, AL 35285
Phone: 800-772-1213
Benefits for people who have worked in jobs covered by Social Security, and have a medical condition that meets Social Security's definition of disability.

Social Security Supplemental Income
Phone: 800-772-1213
Helps aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income, with basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter.

Statewide Technology Access and Response for Alabamians with Disabilities (STAR)
2125 East South Boulevard
PO Box 20752
Montgomery, AL 36120-0759
Phone: 334-613-3480
TTY: 334-613-3519
Toll Free:800-782-7656
Ability Loans for technical and accessibility needs. Collects and lends equipment and assistive devices.

Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children
Alabama Department of Public Health
The RSA Tower
201 Monroe Street
Montgomery, AL 36104
Serves low and moderate income pregnant and breastfeeding women and women who have just had a baby, infants and children up to 5 years who are at nutritional risk.

United Way in Alabama
Addresses and web links for local United Way organizations. Referrals to agencies that provide financial assistance with housing, rent, utility payments, food, clothing, medical services, rehabilitation, elder care, counseling and a range of individual and family needs.

  function openWin(loc) { aWindow ="","thewindow","toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,width=350,height=400"); aWindow.location.href = loc; if(aWindow == null) aWindow = window; }
Click here to add your comment...
maisey mae
well unless you are on disability, or food stamps or any OTHER govt program, MOST of these agencies wont even talk with you. i had to quit my job to care for elder mother, HER income is fine to pay HER LIVING EXPENSES but now i cannot find work for MY income. i have am forced to live on SS and had to take a cut on THAT because i retired ONE YEAR before i desperately needed. no agency or govt program is out there for those of us in the GRAY area: make TOO much to qualify for food stamps (by a huge $25 a month), make MORE THAN THE MEDIAN INCOME FOR THE AREA (by $50 a month) and since it is just ME in the household, the agencies dont understand why i cant just 'go out and find work'. wow really? so THEIR office hires people at age 64? and oh yes, i DO have office experience, years of it; as well as over 18 yrs in retail and in the past owned my OWN business. now that i need help, no one is out there for me. gotta love the system. keep in mind, the help NEEDED is minor repairs on my house. this isn't the big ol house on the, is a small 2bdr house i was able to purchase when i HAD A JOB and specifically got IT because the mortgage was low enough to pay on my own. i do NOT have a physical disability and am grateful for that, but needing windows repaired, a leak in the INCOMING water line to the house and a water heater replaced (the cost of buying one is outrageous enough, but the install costs are outrageous, almost DOUBLE the cost of the heater itself if not more. lets not forget TOO, if you call a plumber now THEY have to add things to be 'up to code' that add to MY costs ....and silly me thought ALL i needed was a water heater, not an entire REWIRING / REPLUMBING on things that were NOT a problem to begin with. WHO makes these crazy laws??). guess i have to keep on boiling water to bathe with. at least i HAVE water to bathe with. THANKS GOVT AGENCIES...for NO HELP to an actual TAX PAYING, no criminal/drug/alcohol using , VOTING CITIZEN that does all she can to stay OFF govt programs.
Talk to maisey mae
littlelacie   in reply to charte
Hi, go to internet, type in need help paying bills, give city and state, you will then see a list of place s that might be able to help. You can get food assistance at food bank and at churches that have food pantries, and some food pantries have clothes closets where you can get clothes. So thankful you and your son made it out ok.
Talk to littlelacie
I am looking for assistance with clothes for me and my son and food assistance and cash assistance. ... our apartment caught on fire lastnight loosing majority of our things ... it was a electric fire and I am also searching for a lawyer would could assist us in a law suit because I brought the attention of sparkin wires to my landlord about 9 different times and nothing was done... and now the apartment caught on fire
Talk to charte
woman in a shoe   in reply to KrazyK1990
The person u posted to not been on here for a few years now. But there no cash on this site. Only information where u mite get help I want u to type need help with bills city state if u don't see it under city state u will fine a lot of information for help
Talk to woman in a shoe
Hello, My name is Kristina Strickland. I am a 24 year old woman currently residing in Montgomery, AL. I need help with cash and rental assistance. Please help.
Talk to KrazyK1990
candy83   in reply to Poppyday13
Im candy sorry just got message
Talk to candy83
I am in huntsville al and i need help with cash and gas and food . I sm out of a job and about to lose my car. And stayin. In my tent most of thd time . If there is any way you can help me find that assistance please it will be very much appreciated my name is tommy wigginton
Talk to tommytomm
davehugg   in reply to autistic boys mommy
I don't know if i can be much help but if you want to contact me some how we have an autistic child and are poor as well but even with 2 parents she is hard i can't imagine what you must be going through
Talk to davehugg
woman in a shoe   in reply to davehugg
Hi type need help with bills city state u mite have to use county state if u don't see it under city state
Talk to woman in a shoe
Thanks for posting this unfortunately most organizations that have programs get a small amount of funds, have long waiting lists, and or just refer people to call 211. I am in a bad situation and needed some financial and community help. I have not found assistance with even food as the local food places are out, and the church's I have called again also having waiting lists or do not have time to respond. The benefits of living in a community that has countless houses of worship and organizations who take money for low income (Alabama power for one) but turn their nose up at people asking for help.
Talk to davehugg
woman in a shoe   in reply to MEMOO
Think u I hope u get the help u ask for on here
Talk to woman in a shoe
MEMOO   in reply to woman in a shoe
Talk to MEMOO
woman in a shoe   in reply to MEMOO
U welcome. But pray for me I am having surgery July 10 in my wrist
Talk to woman in a shoe
MEMOO   in reply to woman in a shoe
Talk to MEMOO
woman in a shoe   in reply to MEMOO
These are the ones that may help. Emergency financial help 2626881. Montgomery community action 2633474
. First Baptist church 2622273. Appointment Mon only 8:30 dexter Baptist 2399336. If u live in one of these zip code u 361071. 36109. 36110. U can get diapers formula 2626438. Hope one of the top 4 can help u
Talk to woman in a shoe
MEMOO   in reply to woman in a shoe
Talk to MEMOO
woman in a shoe   in reply to MEMOO
Hi I will look and see if I can fine any place to help u I will be back on I'm a few mins
Talk to woman in a shoe
MEMOO   in reply to candy83
Talk to MEMOO
Talk to MEMOO
childrensmom   in reply to candy83
Homeless prevention program
Talk to childrensmom